Wednesday, August 29, 2012

An Unexpected Not-So Side Benefit to Running

When I first laced up my sneakers for my first race in 2009, I had a few fairly reasonable expectations. One was to lose weight and to improve my stamina and overall fitness. After 70 pounds gone and after almost 150 races including 12 half-marathons, I think that is mission: accomplished. I quickly found another reason: to help others raise funds for a variety of causes throughout the state. I've walked and jogged many steps for everything from Paul Newman's camps for kids, to horse therapy and catastrophic medical expenses for the uninsured.  

But I never expected racing would be the answer to a poem, a prayer almost, that I wrote in 2006, back when I weighed 250 pounds and could barely waddle across the living room. At the time, my best friend since childhood and I were estranged. Written on an old legal pad it said:

Wanted: another friend. Must be trustworthy, understanding, on time, and willing to take feelings seriously. Treating me like a queen is optional, but nice. 

While we have mended fences and are still dear friends, physical distance will probably limit our visits to once every year or two. It's the same with more of my wonderful friends: they all live at least 45 minutes from me, and many are busy raising their families. I just really missed having someone to hang out with and see fairly regularly (it doesn't have to be every day.)

That first year on the circuit I was still pretty out of shape and embarrassed to even be there, so I pretty much kept to myself before and after races. But it seemed I kept popping up at the same races as this younger blond woman. Near the end of that first season, we smiled at each other, and in 2010 we just started comparing notes on different races. Not much later, a gentleman about 10 years older than me started doing more races on the circuit. After one particularly rough 10K I had a year ago, they each gave me a high five at the finish.

Little did I know that each fit the description in that "want ad" to a T! Both of them have inspired me to become a better runner, and more importantly, a better person. Instead of going to thrift stores and buying everything in sight (I still go in moderation), I'd rather be hanging out with them after a race, riding a Ferris wheel, eating chicken wings, or just plain gabbing. I hope they have learned something from me as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment