Thursday, August 30, 2012

Why I named my blog what I did

I decided to name my blog "Still Running Against the Wind" for several reasons. First of all, I love Bob Seger and his music, and the fact that he's a Midwestern boy done good. Years later the song was prominently used on the Forrest Gump soundtrack. I can relate to the Tom Hanks character very well.

One day, Forrest just started running across America, then went back and did it again. And again. He really had no goal in mind. Aside from getting fit, and wanting to use my feet to help others, that was me three years ago. And I still don't really have a big goal or uniqueness! 

Runners are very goal-oriented people in general. For the fast ones, it's getting an elusive BQ (a time good enough to qualify for the Boston Marathon.) Many people want to join the "50 marathons in 50 states" club. I know one gentleman that wants to do every marathon in the state of Wisconsin. My good friend Michelle is trying to do a race in every county of our state. I've seen people running and juggling at the same time, and I read about an excellent runner that became the world's fastest Elvis. While I have run several races as my superhero alter-ego "The Blue Blazer" she's not a part of my permanent ensemble.

I do try to do races for causes that may not be earthshaking, but are important to the people involved, like equiping fire engines, and playground equipment for domestic abuse shelters. I also enjoy very small town races: most practically give you the key to the city in your goodie bag! But neither of those are terribly organized goals either. So I am very open to suggestions.

More importantly, I called it "Still Running Against the Wind" because it also applies to my life. I have always been my own person, and have not always done things the conventional way. Marriage and the baby carriage just hasn't happened for me. I have many different interests, and friends from all walks of life. I certainly don't look like a runner either: I tend to surprise people when I come barrelling across the finish line. I've never had a trainer or training partner, and have basically learned by watching people who do know what they're doing. Sure, there's always a few militants that get irritated when they have to wait for their medals until I cross the finish line. But most runners are very supportive, and that's why I fell in love with the sport. As I'm already 42, I'm not sure how long I can keep going, but I will keep going against the wind as long as I can. 









No comments:

Post a Comment