Sunday, February 3, 2013

Not breaking any records, but having a ball

It's 5 weeks in to 2013, and I already have 5 races in, including some of the most unique I've done. I started the year off with a dash through a little puddle called Lake Michigan. While I was a wee bit bashful compared to some people (I say it's because I know what those Great Lakes tides can do) I did indeed do the 75 yards around the tiki torches into the drink.

I am proud of the many races I've done for charity, but I must say this is the first one I've ever done for a dead gorilla. The Sampson Stomp at the Milwaukee Zoo was a cold one at 10 degrees with like a 20 below windchill, but along the way we were greeted by penguins, elk, llamas, and even a camel (hey, it gets a wee bit nippy in north Africa at night.) For a kid growing up in northern Wisconsin in the 70's, THE trip was to go south to the big city and see the flamboyant Sampson, who pounded on the glass, and liked to throw things. This race has been going on 32 years, with proceeds benefitting the big guy's descendents. Afterwards we toured the zoo (just the thing to do on the coldest day of the year!)

Then another strictly-for-me proposition, the Winter Warrior 5K in southern Brown County. All the money went to the WI Desert Veterans, and it's done in the cold and snow to remind us of the harsh conditions soldiers face everyday. The first half was a run on a snowy golf course (golf courses can be a bitch to run on, that's why many cross-country meets are held there.) Then we hit the bunkers, hill, moguls, whatever you want to call them, 5 in a row. I tend to slow down going downhill (more on that in a minute) but then you lose momentum. Once you got the hang of them, they were pretty fun. They told us at the start just to have fun and stay safe, which was rather liberating, not to have to go all out or worrying about finishing last (I did just fine). At the end we got a dogtag that said "I survived the Winter Warrior 5K. Be a hero, run below zero!" It's in my favorite medal collection.

During this "off-season" I also joined a Zumba class one night a week for 5 weeks, which I can make 10 weeks for another 20 bucks. The first class was interesting, as I had the old "fat girl thinks everyone is watching and laughing at her" syndrome, but it wasn't that way at all. Everybody is busy keeping themselves in line. While I have no problems with the fitness part, I sometimes turn counter- clockwise when everyone is going clockwise. I say it's because my instructor is Australian, and everyone knows tornados and toliets spin the other direction down there! Still, it's fun to shake your booty to some Pitbull, and while I don't want to make a steady diet of it, it's a nice change of pace.

Then there is something I don't enjoy so much: snowshoeing. While some runners with deeper pockets can think Birkenbeiner, the rest have to go with a sport requiring less equipment. It is not for the faint of heart. You can't pull yourself along like on skis, and if your legs naturally turn out like mine, you can easily step on your shoes and lose your balance. However, this turnout is great if you're a ballet dancer (as you can move quickly in any direction.) Most importantly, I have to pick my feet up higher with each step, which can take almost twice the energy of running. So basically doing a 5K on snowshoes is like a 10K on the road. While there are metal cleats on the bottom of your shoes to stop you from careening downhill, I'm still a bit of a wuss and sidestep down the bigger ones.

I made several mistakes the first race, the first being showing up in Rib Lake! Rib Lake is on the Ice Age Trail, right where the last glacier ended a zillion years ago. It left behind some real dandies of those bumpy things. Next, I had on 25 inch snowshoes, which I believe were too big for my short stride. I practically had to jump between steps. Lastly, I didn't have them laced up tightly enough at first. But I'm getting better at that. Still I managed to (barely) stay upright that first race, practically falling at the finish line. After much swearing and declaring I was never doing this again, I had to admit I liked the crazy people that did this sport. But I was not, repeat not, buying snowshoes. Two weeks later I started pricing some when we still didn't have a lot of snow, and could've gotten a pair for half price. I spent my dough and went to run for the vets instead. Then I firmly stated I was only going to the Athens Udder Plunge race to cheer on my buddies, no racing. A few minutes later I had the last pair of loaners in my hand from the same gentleman from Rib Lake. I wanted to do this particular one because all the money went to support the Athens Fair, which is a free fair, and quite a spectacle for a small town. They were quite a bit smaller, and this course was quite flat, so once again I survived it, though the air did turn quite blue with my swearing again. It was the same result. I was 4th from last, with a nice lady from Rhinelander about 10 minutes in back of me, followed by two kids.

This morning I signed up for the Braveheart series, and while I won't earn the coveted hand-carved trophy for completing 10 races, I might just do one or two more, and I will be able to go to the end of the year bash in Cable if I wish in March. I'll either rent 'em or hope for an end-of-year sale for the rest of the seaon. If I do buy, I will get some poles, which should help me feel a little more secure.

But I sure look forward to the rubber meeting the road again!

No comments:

Post a Comment