Monday, May 19, 2014

The five year plan non-plan


I am not a big goal-oriented person, but I guess I had a five-year workout plan in mind without knowing it. It was May 2009 and I had only been working out since March, and had proudly ridden my bike 8 miles to the Dime and Dollar thrift store. Even before I ever competed, I’ve had a strange thing for medals. I have one for my 700 series (yeah right) and for my third place showing on the uneven parallel bars at the YMCA gymnastics meet in 2004. As it turns out, I have had to use the ribbons off of a few of these, so my little fetish hasn’t been so useless after all.

 But this one was different. It wasn’t earned through hurling heavy objects down oily lanes or risking paralysis.  It had a red ribbon that said Walk Wisconsin Half Marathon 2005, and the medal had people walking on it (duh!) They give a medal for just walking I thought? Really!?! I had moved outside from my stationary bike and could now walk a few miles, instead of practically keeling over at Target. Maybe I should consider that. It turns out the event was actually just a few days later, and I wasn’t quite ready for the shortest distance yet, 6.55 miles. And I hadn’t even done my first race yet. But the seed was definitely planted, and for 59 cents I purchased my motivation.

That weekend I did my first race, a 3.7 miler that I got to ten minutes late, but still managed to pass about a dozen people, albeit most were families with strollers. I really enjoyed it, especially since proceeds went towards childhood obesity, a cause near and dear to my heart.

By the end of the summer I had 15 races under my belt, and actually earned a medal in Neillsville my third race. Hey, even a blind eagle catches a fish sometimes! I still try to do that race every year if I can, and Neillsville is also where I won my first snowshoeing medal this year.

Over the winter I kept working out, and started thinking that I should continue this unexpected vocation. That Walk Wisconsin medal beckoned. Could I possibly earn one with a red ribbon that said Walk Wisconsin 2010?

I printed out the little training schedule and diligently got at it. Unfortunately, I also got a very screwed up call from my doctor informing me I was diabetic. (That is another blog for another time.) The first question out of my mouth was “can I still walk my half marathon?” “That would be a good idea, she told me. So I kept at it, but not without a few bumps in the road. I decided to do a local trail run for training purposes (I had no clue what I was doing) and took a digger right at the end that screwed up my knee and elbow a week before Walk Wisconsin. To make matters worse,  the first aid tent accidently put bleach on my wounds, which naturally hurt like hell for my whole “taper” week. But I kept myself bandaged up, and set out for Walk Wisconsin the next Saturday  with all the equipment they advised you to bring.

Bug spray? Check. Sunscreen? Check. Raincoat? You betcha. When I was done putting all their advice in the little backpack they gave us it was a wonder I could walk. In fact, I think it threw me off balance, which lead me to another fall about 6 miles in, and yet another around mile 10, that totally blew off any healing that had taken place that week. Plus my blood sugar may have been a little low. Blood was coming out of my left elbow, but I kept it hidden from the Park Ridge first responders for fear they’d pull me off the course. In reality, they probably would have just patched me up. But I was determined to finish, in spite of the looks of horror from the little old lady walkers surrounding me.

It did actually start to rain in the last mile, but at that point I didn’t care. I made my way up to the stage at the finish and got my medal from the former mayor of the city. It wasn’t pretty, but I got it done and mom made me a steak that night too.

The next year I just did the quarter marathon, and in 2012 did the half again with my dear friend Michelle. We talked and ate and laughed the whole time. This was much different and more fun that being the “solitary woman” in 2010. We reprised it last year with the new ¾ Marathon: 19.3 miles. This was even more fun because we got to enjoy the famous pizza rest stop. We also got the slick yellow ribbon. So I now had 2 reds, a green and yellow ribbon.

One question I get is “so have you considered a full marathon?” It has always felt like unfinished business. I have no desire to do Ironmans or ultras, but I would like to get that much done. So this year, I decided I needed the coveted blue Walk Wisconsin ribbon on my medal (which are the same every year.) June 7 is the big day. I know this is just a walk in the park for many runner friends, but it sure would be an accomplishment for me. And even though it’s not running, I think I will have earned the 26.2 sticker for my car anyway.

Stay tuned in 3 weeks for an update, good or bad…

No comments:

Post a Comment